Saturday 4 July 2009

Just over a day to go...

Providing the weather holds there is but a day of the Championships left. The pace of work hasn't let up, and although there are fewer matches being played there is still a lot of work to be done. This morning I photographed the hospitality suites, and some other generic IBM things around the grounds. Yet more of that to do tomorrow. Now though I need to sling a few photos up here before the influx of photos for the official site starts.

The photos are from the last few days.






- Ferrer, head down in resignation as he fails to reach the ball.
- Another attempt at a movement photo. Interesting to note he sticks his tongue out.
- A zoom and slow shutter speed combined. Came out quite well!








- A close up of Ferrer serving, eyes on the ball, taken with a 300mm lens. I guess he is about 90 feet from me.
- Sugiyama serves up a feast on court 14.
- Stepanek wipes away the strain on his way to victory on court 18.
- Sugiyama cut off in her prime by me using the wrong lens.








- Pizza time on the hill - just as soon as she remembers where she parked her companion. Looks like her tongue might not wait.
- Umbrellas at dusk as the hill prepares for a Murray match to be shown on the big screen.
- A security guard does what he is paid for.
- A player thronged by tennis fans on the walk between the Broadcast Centre and court 14.






- I spied a novel nasal sun screen thanks to the big lens.
- Jazz hands at the foot of the hill.
- A magician does the 'head separated from body' trick to entertain the fans.






- Two ladies who seem a little bored. Or dismayed. Or both.
- An umbrella shades a player on court 18. I left the player out.
- A tilt-and-shift shot of the courts immediately in front of the Broadcast Centre.








- Schiavone, balletic, assured, returns on her way to victory. This shot is my personal favourite of the whole event, and certainly the best movement photo I have taken.
- She celebrates on her knees.
- Laura Robson strains skyward.
- A ball girl alone in a sea of green.






- An army of cleaning staff remove all evidence of previous occupants on court 18.
- The covers on, one of the grounds staff runs and points. I don't know what at, or why.
- A ball boy lines up two new sets of balls before propelling them along the ground to another ball boy at the end of the court.








- A ball boy returns to his post.
- Court 18 is one of my favourites, and this shot shows a classic serve stance. I love examining the different styles of the players, and how they approach this most important of shots.
- Overlooking court 18 during a match, the blue sky blessing yet another day of rain-free tennis.
- Robson suspended mid-serve. Another shot taken with the 300mm, looking down on her from the Broadcast Centre roof. At that range it is too close to capture the whole player.






- Robson's opponent sets herself up for a shot as the evening light disappears behind the blocks of flats outside the grounds.
- A relaxed line judge.
- Robson, taken from the Broadcast Centre roof with a 300mm lens. Idiot that I am I did not think to change it, which resulted in a very difficult few minutes as I tried time and again to get the ball and her, and her racquet in frame. Eventually I succeeded.








- A young Murray fan watches the match from the foot of the hill. He was serenaded by umpteen photographers and TV crews. Then he and his mother were given tickets for Centre Court by a kind couple so that could see the last set. Excellent!
- A few night shots as the Murray match went on later than expected. This is the back of a security guard. A pretty obvious statement really.
- Lights on top of the Broadcast Centre.
- I know, I know, it is out of focus, but I just liked the feel of it. It is possible that many of the fans were seeing like this by the end of play as the hill stank of beer and Pimms.






- Fans cheer and clap as Murray eventually wins the match. In the two shots above you can see them silhouetted against the big screen at the foot of the hill.

Right, photos need to be prepared for the web site. I will do another couple of posts tomorrow, on the last day of the event.

1 comment:

  1. I loved the photos - it made it feel like I was there during all the excitement. Great job!

    ReplyDelete